A rare incident may just have occurred. A couple in Katy, Texas were driving home when their noticed a strange haze building in their car. Jovan and Attila Virag realized that a fire had started. Luckily it was a small one. After examining the contents of their car, they began to suspect lithium batteries in a pair of child’s light up shoes as the initiator of the blaze.
A fire Marshall is currently investigating the case, and a determination has yet to be made. Lithium batteries are incredibly safe (everything from your laptop to your television remote uses them), but it’s not impossible that those in the pair of shoes could have been defective.
At this point, there’s no reason to expect that your child’s favorite pair of light up shoes is going to suddenly burst into flames. We’ll just have to wait and see what the Marshall says.